A Brief History of Yarmouth Veterinary Center in Yarmouth, Maine
Louise LeBoeuf and Peter Smith started Yarmouth Veterinary Center in 1986. For the first six months the practice was housecalls-only, while they lived in the 1826 house on the corner of Bridge and Willow Streets in Yarmouth and converted the attached dirt-floor shed into a cozy three-and-a-half room hospital. The xray machine was in their living room.
A year later Louise and Peter moved out to allow their practice to take over the whole house. A couple of years after that they renovated a little old cape on the other side of Willow Street, turning it into a grooming salon and boarding kennel.
In the summer of 2000 they completed construction of the present-day Yarmouth Veterinary Center, on the site of their former Willow Street boarding/grooming facility, across from the beloved antique house that served them so well for so many years. YVC is now housed in a facility designed, constructed and equipped to allow them, and their wonderful associate veterinarians and staff, to provide the best veterinary care possible for their client's pets.
The xray machine is no longer in their living room, but their practice is still home to them, and their clients and patients are the most welcome of guests.
A very important update:
In 2017 Louise and Peter's son Zach graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School. After completing a 1-year internship at Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus, New Jersey he joined his parents as a veterinarian at YVC in August 2018.